Sunday, October 18, 2009

Deer and Raptors

Hi Everyone
Today is windy, cool, and overcast. AS i drove down Digby Neck a doe walked out in front og me by the Digby Neck School. It was very unconcerned about me and continued to look at me and saunter on its way. Lots of deer around right now, be careful driving. I also have noticed lots of raptors around from the Islands and up along Digby Neck. Some of the raptors i sighted on Friday was:
Red tailed Hawk
Broad-winged hawk
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Merlins
Kestrels
Turkey Vultures (many flying over sandy cove, freeport and westport).
Northern Harriers
Bald Eagle

This morning i sighted 4 Eastern Bluebirds hanging out on my clothesline.
Lots of Dark-eyed Junco`s, Song Sparrows, northern flickers and Blue jays moving through.
Also sighted a Great Blue Heron flying as th ferry landed.

1 comment:

digbycounty said...

I might add that the deer are moving around now, are under pressure from poachers. Be careful walking in the woods- wear bright colours and make noise. Be careful also of nighttime- there are men out there in the woods, on the side of the road and in their vehicles with guns. Three shots rang out just behind my place last night...at 11 pm!
Kathleen Gidney