Sunday, April 4, 2010

Pileated Woodpecker




Hi Everyone
As i was walking up the new lane today towards Western Light when i heard this constant hammering and decided to investigate. I walked toward Western Light road and on a telephone pole, the same one we used to put up Nesting Bluebird boxes was a PILEATED WOODPECKER.I didn't have my camera on me so i made a loop back to my car, rushed home and was hoping it would still be there when i got back and it was! Got some of these terrific photos of the Pileated woodpecker. When i looped home to get my camera i went past a field where 4 horses were penned and inside was a Killdeer displaying the broken wing trick to lure me away.
Other sightings today: Common Loon, eider Ducks, Black Ducks, American Goldfinch, Dark-eyed Junco, Robins, Common Grackle, Lots of Crows, Ravens carrying nesting material, Pheasants, Black-capped Chickadees, and Song Sparrows. Coltsfoot was blooming in abundance at peajack, and in the ditches lots of frog eggs.

No comments: